NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Mauritius counterpart Pravind Kumar Jugnauth on Thursday jointly inaugurated the new Supreme Court building at Port Louis completed with Indian assistance as part of New Delhi’s thrust on cooperation with countries in the Indian Ocean Region. The inauguration via video conferencing was done in presence of senior members of the judiciary from Mauritius and other dignitaries from both countries.
Here are the highlights:
* I congratulate the Government and people of Mauritius for effective management of the COVID-19 global pandemic. I am happy that India was able to support this effort through timely supplies of medicines and the sharing of experiences. The new Supreme Court Building in Port Louis is a symbol of our cooperation and our shared values: PM Modi
* History has taught us that in the name of development partnerships, nations were forced into dependence partnerships. It gave rise to colonial and imperial rule. It gave rise to global power blocks: PM Modi
* India is making development partnerships that are marked by: Respect. Diversity. Care for the future. Sustainable development: PM Modi
* India’s development partnerships are diverse. From commerce to culture, energy to engineering, health to housing, IT to infrastructure, sports to science. India is working with nations across the globe: PM Modi
* India is not only proud to be helping your present. We consider it our privilege to help you create a better future for your youth, your next generation. That is why training and skilling is such an important part of our development cooperation: PM Modi
* If India is honoured to help in the Parliament building in Afghanistan, it is also proud to be associated in the making of the Mahatma Gandhi Convention Centre in Niger: PM Modi
* Addressing the inauguration ceremony, Mauritian PM Jugnauth said that the majestic building here standing in front of us is the evidence of India and Mauritius’ strong relationship: PM Modi
*Our partnership is destined to soar even higher in the coming years. Long live India and Mauritius relations: PM Modi
* I heartily thank Prime Minister Narendra Modi for demonstrating once again that Mauritius is very close to his heart. I seize this opportunity to convey our solidarity to you, government & people of India in these trying times, said PM Jugnauth.
* Today’s event represents our determination for modernisation and endeavour. We believe in India’s Satyamev Jayate ideology.
* Jugnauth said that the government intends to preserve the old Supreme Court buildings and will carry out repair works as well.
India as Mauritius’ development partner
* The court structure construction is one of the five projects under the USD 353 million Special Economic Package (SEP) extended by India in 2016.
* The project was completed within schedule and below expected cost. The building is spread over an area of more than 4,700 sq m with over 10 floors and has a built-up area of around 25,000 sq m.
* The building flaunts a modern design and green features with a focus on thermal and sound insulation and high energy efficiency. The new building will house all divisions and offices of the Supreme Court of Mauritius.
* India is the largest development partner for Mauritius. The four other priority infrastructure projects built under India’s SEP for Mauritius include Metro Express Project, which was inaugurated jointly in October 2019, by Modi and Jugnauth.
* Work on a new ENT hospital in Mauritius has also been completed and work for a social housing project is underway.
* Lines of Credit (LOC) worth USD 600 million at concessional terms have been announced for Mauritius with a priority focus on developmental projects.