The Mumbai police is capable of handling the death case of Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput, said Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh, ruling out the possibility of a CBI probe in the case. Sushant Singh Rajput was found dead at his apartment in Mumbai’s Bandra last month. The 34-year-old actor died by suicide, police say.
“There was no need to give the case to the CBI. Our police officials are capable and doing the inquiry in right way. We are also examining the angle of business rivalry,” Mr Deshmukh was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.
Mr Deshmukh said the Mumbai police were conducting a detailed inquiry into the actor”s death and also
recording statements of people concerned.
Actor Rhea Chakraborty — a close friend of Sushant Singh Rajput — had on Thursday requested Home Minister Amit Shah to allow the CBI to investigate the case.
Tagging Home Minister Amit Shah in a post on Instagram, Rhea Chakraborty said that she “only wanted to understand what prompted him to take the step”.
“Respected @amitshahofficial sir, I’m Sushant Singh Rajput’s girlfriend Rhea Chakraborty, it is now over a month since his sudden demise. I have complete faith in the government , however in the interest of justice , I request you with folded hands to initiate a CBI enquiry into this matter . I only want to understand what pressures prompted Sushant to take this step,” Rhea Chakraborty wrote on Instagram.